All members of Biathlon New Brunswick are cordially invited to attend the Biathlon New Brunswick Annual General Meeting 2018. Notice of this meeting was given in the minutes of AGM 2017 and has been published in the Biathlon NB Annual Plan. However, date conflicts caused a change from 12 May to 19 May.
1. Call to Order/Preliminaries - Notice of Meeting, Agenda, Review of Minutes of AGM 2017
2. Reports for Season 2017/2018 – President, Financial, Head Coach, Biathlon Canada
3. Sport and Recreation Consultant's Comments
4. Sanctioning the Actions of the Board
5. Plans for 2018/2019 – Calendar: Events, Provincial Squad/Team, Coaches/Officials
6. Budget 2018/2019
7. Policies - Concussion Policy, Revised Critical Objectives, Revised Terms of Reference
8. Appointment of Auditors, Financial Review
11. Awards Announcement: Male and Female Athlete, Coach, Volunteer(s) of the Year, Builder, Contributing Organization of the Year, Outstanding Service Award
12. Other Business
13. Next Meeting(s)
1. The AGM will be conducted according to Biathlon NB meeting procedures.
2. All members in good standing of Biathlon NB present at the AGM are entitled to vote – no proxies.
3. Motions and nominations may be made from the floor by members.
4. If you wish to have agenda input, please contact Ray Kokkonen.
5. Meeting information packages will be sent by e-mail and also will be available at the AGM.
6. For additional information, please contact Ray Kokkonen at:
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING 2017
13:00 hrs, 13 May 2017 Goodie Shop Restaurant, Miramichi (Newcastle)
MINUTES ATTENDANCECharlo (Les Aventuriers)
Andre Boissonnault Ron HeppellMike LushingtonKrista PetersenEmily ComeauMiramichiRay KokkonenJulie MartinTrent Martin Liam Septon Paula SeptonDenis St. GermainNicholas St. GermainYves St. GermainMichael VautourTrina VautourDavid VeyseyAndrew CostainOromocto Biathlon Club
Michel CoteKelly HarrisSusan HawkinsEric Hebert
Sport Consultant Wellness, Culture and Sport NB
1. PRELIMINARIES1.1. Opening
The meeting was called to order at 1300 hrs, 13 May 2017 by President Ray Kokkonen. He welcomed and thanked all members for attending, especially on a weekend. He stated that notice of meeting was verified as having been given to the membership in The minutes of the AGM 2016 and in the Annual Plan. In order to set a biathlon theme, Ray showed a portion of a biathlon video.
1.2. Approval of Agenda
The agenda was approved as presented. Motion # 1
- “To approve the agenda as presented”. Moved by Andre Boissonnault, seconded by Kelly Harris- Carried.
1.3. Review of Minutes
The minutes of the AGM 2015 were reviewed and approved. Motion #2
- "To approve the 2016 AGM minutes as presented". Moved by Mike Lushington, seconded by Paula Septon - Carried
2. REPORTS2.1 President– 2016/2017 Year -End Summary
Ray presented his written report which was submitted with the package, highlighting important aspects. The report is attached.2.2. Treasurer- Financial Report
The Treasurer, Paula Septon, reviewed the written financial report and highlighted key items. The report is attached. She underlined once again the inherent challenges in producing a complete financial report in time for the mid -April funding submission, recognizing that the biathlon year does not really wrap up until late April – and that some booking items may becarried over into the upcoming year.Motion #3
– “To approve the financial report for FY 2016/2017 as presented, subject to an independent review that is to be conducted later in the spring". Moved by Paula Septon, Seconded by David Veysey – Carried.
Ray Kokkonen reminded the meeting that Biathlon New Brunswick does not have a legal obligation to have an Audited Report.2.3. Athlete Representative Report Athlete Representative Lauren Martin
Was unable to attend the meeting, so Trent Martin offered her report. She expressed general athlete satisfaction, but asked that consideration be given to a new design for medals that are to be awarded at Biathlon New Brunswick competitions. She and Ray Kokkonen will undertake to explore the options for a new design.
2.4. Head Coach Report Provincial Head Coach
Trent Martin supplemented his written report included in the AGM package and expressed his satisfaction with the direction that athlete development was proceeding.2.5. Biathlon Canada Report
Ray Kokkonen gave a brief verbal report on affairs concerning Biathlon Canada. He indicated that there were continuing difficulties as a result of the move of the Biathlon Canada office to Canmore from Ottawa. He also underlined ongoing problems with communications, particularly in the dissemination of timely information.2.6. Masters Committee Report
Provincial Masters Coach Mike Lushington presented a report that had been circulated on line, in w hich he highlighted the Masters’ trip for the International Masters Competitions in Kontiolahti, Finland as being the prime satisfaction in a very good year for the Masters program in New Brunswick.
3. COMMENTS BY THE WELLNESS, CULTURE AND SPORT REPRESENTATIVE
Sport Consultant Jason Arseneault offered a brief explanation of his role and of how funding for organizations such as Biathlon New Brunswick receive funding from his department. In all, he felt that Biathlon New Brunswick’s work of long-term development was proceeding very well.
4. SANCTIONING THE ACTIONS OF THE BOARD
After the reports, the following motion was made.Motion #4
– “To sanction the actions of the Board for FY 2016/2017.” Moved by David Veysey, seconded by Susan Hawkins – Carried.
5. PLANS FOR 2017/201 8
The tabled annual plan was reviewed, discussed and amended: Motion #5
– “To approve the annual plan for FY 2017/2018 as presented and amended, in principle, subject to necessary program changes.” Moved by Susan Hawkins, seconded by Trent Martin – Carried.
6. BUDGET 2017/201 8
The budget for Fiscal Year 2017/2018 was presented by Paula Septon and was reviewed and amended as necessary.Motion #6
– “To approvethe budget for FY 2017/2018 as presented and amended, including the purchase of a rifle, in principle, subject to necessary programchanges.” Moved by Paula Septon, seconded by Krista Petersen – Carried.
7. POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Ray Kokkonen presented revised Biathlon NB Terms of Reference and Critical Objectives andOperating Principles. After discussions, the following motions were made:Motion #7
– “ To approve the revised Terms of Reference for Biathlon NB Board and appointed positions as presented”. Moved by Paula Septon, seconded by Philip Nadeau – Carried.
Ray Kokkonen explained the changes in the Critical Objectives and Operating Principles document and requested approval of it.Motion #8
– "To approve the revised Critical Objectives and Operating Principles as presented". Moved by Kelly Harris, seconded by Eric Hebert - Carried.
Selection Criteria for the upcoming 2019 Canada Winter Games were reviewed. The term,“talent squad,” was deleted . Anyone who meets the criteria for age and residency, as well as performance during specified selection events, is eligible for selection to the team for the Games, exactly as has been the case of the 2007, 2011, and 2015 Winter Games.Motion #9
– "To approve the revised Canada Winter Games Talent ID and Selection Criteria as revised". Moved by Susan Hawkins, seconded by Trina Vautour - Carried.
Biathlon NB Harassment PolicyThe new Biathlon NB Harassment Policy was tabled by Ray Kokkonen.Motion #10 – "To approve the new Biathlon NB Harassment Policy as presented". Moved by Trent Martin, seconded by Michel Cote - Carried.Biathlon NB Conflict of Interest PolicyThe new Biathlon NB Conflict of Interest Policy was tabled by Ray Kokkonen. Montion #11
– "To approve the new Biathlon NB Conflict of Interest Policy as presented". Moved by Mike Lushington, seconded by Trina Vautour - Carried.
Biathlon NB Masters Guidelines PolicyOn May 8, via email, Andre Boissonnault moved that the Biathlon NB Masters policy be formalized according to guidelines set forth in that motion, which was presented to the Annual General Meeting.Motion #12
– "To approve the new Biathl on NB Masters Policy as presented". Moved by Andre Boissonnault, seconded by Mike Lushington - Carried.
8. AGM LEGAL ITEMS
Appointment of Auditors, Financial Review It was agreed to continue the previously approved system of an internal audit annually, prior to the AGM, with the group consisting of the Treasurer as ex-officio and one non-Board member each from the three clubs
9. ELECTION OF DIRECTORS AND APPOINTMENTS
Elections to fill lapsed and vacant Board positions and to ratify the Athlete Representative were conducted as follows for the listed positions.
President Ray Kokkonen
Vice -president Cindy Bovenizer
Secretary Mike Lushington
Treasurer Paula Septon
Coaching Developmen Yves St. Germain
Membership Susan Hawkins
Masters’ Committee Andre Boissonnault
Marketing and Fundraising Trina Vautour
Ratification of Athlete Representative: Motion #13
– "To ratify the election of Lauren Martin by the athletes as the Athlete Representative. Moved by Kelly Harris, seconded by Andre Boissonnault - Carried.
Cadet Representative Andrew Costain
The following Biathlon NB Team Staff
appointments were made
Provincial Coach Trent Martin
Female Coach Natalie Landry
Masters’ Coach Mike Lushington
Shooting Coach Phil Nadeau, Elyard Harris
Waxing Technician Yves St. Germain
Team Physicians Dr. Kris Wierzchoslawski, Dr. Vona MacMillan
CanadaWinter Games 2019 Staff
The following were appointed as the CWG 2019 Staff.
Male Coach Yves St.Germain
Female Coach Natalie Landry
Team Manager Paula Septon
Wax Technician Trent Martin
The annual awards for 2015/2016, determined by the Board, were announced to the AGM:
Coach of the Year: Michel Cote
Volunteers of Year: Susan Hawkins and Guy Daigle
Athletes of Year: Female - Dolores Berube and Julie Martin
Male - Felix Cote
Builder: Marion Heppell
Valued Supporting Organization: Not selected
11. NEXT MEETINGS
The next meetings were set in the annual plan:
Board Meeting – 8 December 2017, Conference Call(TBC)
Planning Meeting – 19 April 2018,Conference Call (TBC)
Annual General Meeting – 12May 2017, Miramichi(TBC)
The President adjourned the meeting at 15:20hrs after thanking everyone for their contributions and for attending the AGM on a spring Saturday when there were so many other things to doMotion #9
- “To adjourn the AGM". Moved by Eric Hebert, seconded by Kelly Harris Original Signed by